BG group and Ophir Energy are planning to continue with their exploration activities off Tanzania after their third consecutive success with Chaza-1 in Block 1. The earlier two wells, Pweza-1 and Chewa-1, both in Block 4, discovered significant quantities of gas in them.
- The JV comprising of Ophir Energy and BG Group are carrying out Tanzania’s first deepwater drilling campaign consisting of Blocks 1, 3 and 4.
- The blocks cover an area of about 28,050km2 area of the Mafia Deep Offshore Basin and northern portion of the Ruvuma Basin.
- Infill 2D seismic surveys were acquired in Block 1 in 2005 and Blocks 3 and 4 in 2006. Further 2D and 3,500km2 of 3D seismic data across all three blocks were acquired in 2008 to mature a number of prospects to a drillable status.
- First well, Pweza-1 on Block 4 discovered gas in 60m Eocene section
- The next well Chewa-1 hit gas in a Palaeocene reservoir
- Chaza-1 drilled on Block 1 hit gas in a secondary objective
- The Joint Venture has contracted the semi-submersible rig Deepsea Stavanger to drill two to three wells during 2H 2010. Following completion of the first drilling campaign a further 4,000km2 of 3D seismic data will be acquired during 1H 2011.
- There are tentative plans to drill a second well in Block 1 targeting the Jodari prospect later this year.